Scrotal stretching is permanent or temporary stretching of the scrotum -- The practice commonly known in many circles as 'ball stretching' is where an individual stretches his scrotum to hang lower than it normally would. As with other stretchings, scrotum stretching is often semi-permanent, meaning the scrotum can end up returning to near its normal length unless steps are taken to stop it and maintain the modification.
As far as the maxuimum lengths, that is unknown. Well over a foot is very possible -- there are numerous examples of people who have stretched to this extent. Genesis P. Orridge talked about someone who stretched his scrotum to his knees in Modern Primitives.
One of the major risks is basic trauma to the testes and spermatazoa. Using too much weight too quickly, or even just handling weights roughly or carelessly can cause trauma. Trauma-associated injuries include broken blood vessels, bruises, and the like, however, permanent damage can be done.
A more likely risk is skin irritation. Different materials can irritate the skin of the scrotum, and different implements used for the purpose can hinder proper cleaning of the area.
Damage can also be caused when circulation is cut off from the area. A stretching enthusiast should always note the temperature of his scrotum, and remove anything which makes it feel colder than normal, as this is a sign that the circulation is restricted.
Different methods for stretching include a weighted leather "bull" bag worn around the testicles, leather straps to keep the scrotum from drawing up, steel rings and collars, vacuum pumping, or saline infusion into the scrotum to stretches the skin. Most of the these items can be found in leather stores.
Unfortunately, there is no perfect device readily available, and the implements which are available, even at a high price, are very expensive. What follows is an overview of the most common stretching methods:
Many companies make 'ball stretchers' out of leather. These can be found in most stores which sell bondage gear and in many catalogues. They range widely in price depending on how they're made, and what size they are. The stretcher is a leather tube which can be opened and closed with snaps, straps, buckles, or laces, and often has a loop of leather or metal where weights can be hung. Other features include built-in cock rings and straps push the testicles further apart once they are both in the stretcher.
- Advantages: Leather is a very versatile material, so a wide variety of styles are available. Since different lengths are avaialbe, one can choose not to use weights, and just successively longer stretchers instead. Shaving isn't necessary with this method. The biggest advantage is the ease with which leather stretchers are removed, which makes them the safest method.
- Disadvantages: The chemicals and dyes used to treat leather can irritate many people. Also, the ends of the stretcher can dig into the skin and actually leave flaky scabs.
- Method: These stretchers can be rather difficult to apply, mostly because both hands are needed to close the stretcher. Unless one is lucky enough to have a helper, he'll probably need to devise a way to pull on his scrotum without using his hands. You can use a lasso made of soft satin cord to wrap around the scrotum on one end, and around your toe on the other end. Then pull with your foot and close the stretcher with both hands.
- Conclusion: While its not a perfect method, it's one that many will end up sticking with because it's the safest and easiest one.
Split Steel Weights
Some companies such as Mr. S. make what is basically a heavy tube of metal split in half which is held together with screws. These are very expensive (starting at $200!) and range in weight from .5lb on up.
- Advantages: If an enthusiast likes using weights, this is the best method because the weight is the stretcher itself, making it less bulky and even possible to wear under clothes.
- Disadvantages: Not only does the extraordinary expense factor in, but the equipment is hard to get. Unless one lives near a manufacturer and can shop around, he will probably waste money on a poorly-fitting device. (The diameter on mine is too narrow, and cuts the circulation off.) They are hard to put on, mostly because they pinch when the two halves are laid together. Also, most manufactures seem to use screws with hex-endings, so an allen wrench has to be used to take it off. As with any method that uses weights, sudden trauma is also a constant concern. (Running with one of these on would be very dangerous.)
- Method: These are very hard to put on. In order to get all of the skin out from between the two halves, the wearer may have to spend a lot of time sliding the halves back and forth across each other. This can be painful, since it amounts to skin getting caught between two moving pieces of steel.
- Conclusion: Unless you have lots of money, and don't mind pain, try another method.
One method which can be seen in Modern Primitives is the use of steel rings. These rings, which are exactly like the widely used 2-inch diameter cock rings only smaller, are available at most hardware stores. Stores which sell sex toys and bondage gear also sell them, but at a much higher price. Most men will probably be most comfortable using 1.5-inch diameter rings. The method is to wear as many rings as are comfortable, and gradually add one ring at a time.
- Advantages: This method is inexpensive and actually quite elegant. The size and amount of rings can be varied to fit one's needs, and the method employs the length of the succession of rings instead of weight, making it less uncomfortable to the wearer.
- Disadvantages: The rings can be difficult to put on and remove, and wearers will likely leave them on because of this. Everything should be removed at least once daily for cleaning, so anything that makes this difficult is tough to live with. Also, the rings can pinch the skin, which is not only painful but can lead to injuries which then have a hard time healing unless the rings are removed. This method is also painful unless all hair in the area is removed, which will lead to a whole new set of irritations for most people. Finally, the rings are solid, which would make them difficult or impossible to remove if any swelling occurred.
- Method: Sliding the first ring over is the most difficult, because the testicles will have a tendency to go into the body cavity instead of through the ring. The easiest way to prevent this is to tie the penis and scrotum off with a leather strap, or even better, an adjustable leather 'cock strap.' Pulling the skin of the scrotum through along with one testicle, and then pulling it tighter until the other testicle pops through is tedious, but probably the only way to do it. Expect to jump a bit when the second one goes through! The other rings are much easier to put on, since both testicles are then held in place by the first ring. Simply put one through, and then the other. The reason the rings stay on is because both testicles then rest side-by-side, and the width of them together is too wide to go back through the ring.
- Conclusion: This is definitely a risky method. It is probably best left to experienced stretchers. Also, anyone using it is advised to keep bolt cutters around.
Other options include a neoprene stretcher instead of a leather one, or use rubber o-rings instead of steel rings. Elf Sternberg recommends cotton rope as a stretcher. If you want to invest money, you could also have your perfect implement built... one example would be two openable steel rings separated by two steel rods on the sides. If this would be possible, it would get rid of all the pinching and sweat problems associated with normal steel rings. Another design Julian Hurt once suggested would be a large spring with a ring on each end.
All methods for stretching, scrotal and otherwise, need to be done gradually. Enthusiasts should expect to go months before seeing results, and should also note that maintenance will probably be necessary.
If one has stretched to a length he likes, he will probably have to continue to wear a stretcher that size to keep his scrotum from shrinking back.